Thursday 31 July 2008

WAITING

My boss yet again postponed my performance review today. Argh! Don’t get me wrong I’ve got nothing bad to expect and he’s one of the best bosses I’ve ever had. And he has a million things on his plate at the moment which has lead to thus far, two postponements of my review. But……I just hate performance reviews. Whether they are good, bad, ugly or fabulous, I can’t stand the hour you have to spend where your life (well your work life…which lets face it is your life) is laid in front of you and you’re given a grade. I wish I could just send my parents along like we did at school. And they would come home, give you a hug and advise that everything was super and they’re so proud of you. Instead you have to endure an hour of management speak and discuss where you have been, where you are going and where you want to be in the next year when in fact if you had a million in the bank, you’d be anywhere but here.
C

4 comments:

FireHorse said...

It's not like the boss is gonna say, "Now Colin, go and stand in the corner of the room", is it?

James said...

I am on both ends of the performance review process. I do them and I am done. I think it would be much better if you had several each year, rather than just one big one. It would be then far more informal. And the big question about getting a raise or not, could be just a sum of achievement up until then, rather than just one meeting. At the moment, it's all a bit like the old days of the HSC in many workplaces.

Monty said...

Mine was over and done in 5 mins - my boss hates doing them so it's a mutual thing! :-)

Victor said...

Mmmmmm...you obviously received better school reports than I did. My parents never reacted that positively to my reports.