Tuesday 29 July 2008

PROJECT RUNWAY AUSTRALIA: Episode Four


The challenge for this episode was to design a glamorous frock for an AFL footballer’s girlfriend to wear down the red carpet at the Brownlow Medal (kind of like the Academy Awards of AFL: Australian Football League). The challenge commenced in the middle of the sacred ground of AFL: the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Eight footballer’s wives were present and each chose the contestant they wished to work with. Of course Helen “It’s a walk in the park” Manuell declared that she had designed frocks for five of the girls and almost laid an egg trying to tell everyone. Part of the brief was to design not only something glamorous but in accordance with what the footballer’s girlfriend wanted. Makes sense really; all except for Helen. When Helen’s girl presented her ideas for her frock, Helen dismissed them immediately and told her that she would take care of it. She is a full bag of wrong but so annoyingly fun to watch.

My new hero is Lui. I ironically didn’t say much about him on my last PRA post because I couldn’t quite remember what he made or contributed. In this challenge his personality and skills really came out and in my opinion he made the best frock. At first it looked like a complete disaster for him The outfit he made initially resembled something out of the last days of Pompeii. His footballer’s girlfriend looked like she wanted to throw herself into Mt Versuivus when she first saw it. He had four hours to re-do the frock and he turned into something that was both glamorous and very original. In my opinion all the other frocks paled in comparison.

Lui’s, Juli’s and Helen’s frocks were the only ones which were above average….(yes Helen…who would believe it). The rest of the collection I thought was very ordinary and bordering on embarrassing.

Here’s a run down of the contestants and their entries:

The special guest judge this time round was designer Peter Morrisey who seemed as impressed as christmas to be there.

Winner: Juli Grbac: Juli’s brief by her footballer’s girlfriend was to make her look like a Creatian Goddess. And she did. She also looked like an extra off My Fair Lady but the judges seemed to love it. I liked it but I didn’t love it.

Leigh Buchanan: Leigh’s entry was allowed through straight away to the next round. My honest opinion: his client looked like she was wearing a black satin nightie. It was boring but well made.

Petrova Hammond: Petrova’s entry was also allowed through straight away to the next round. Her client also looked like she was wearing a nightie…except this time a pink and blue nightie. I found it boring too but it was well made.

Helen Manuell: Helen made a very elegant black and gold frock and her footballer’s girlfriend looked hot. It was very Grammy Awards. The trouble was she didn’t follow any of her client’s instructions or requests. I’m not quite sure whether her client was entirely comfortable with the revealing outfit. Still, all that aside, Helen made the third best outfit behind Juli and Lui.

Lui Hon: In my opinion Lui made the best outfit. It was original and elegant. His client went from absolutely loathing the outfit to absolutely adoring it after he totally overhauled it when she initially didn’t like it. The judges loved the frock. It is something I could see on Cate Blanchett.

Brent Zaicek: I love Brent. He’s cute as a button and he’s got that Kiwi country-boy knockabout feel to him. But….his frock was crap. It was poorly made and it looked like a piece of white material with a black belt around the waist and the top cut out for his client’s tits. She looked like a wet cat. Enough said.

Mark Antonio: In my opinion Mark should have been eliminated in this challenge. His outfit was nothing short of appalling. His client looked like she had rolled in my mother’s salmon curtains and walked out the door. It was dreadful. Like Brent’s outfit, there is no way Mark’s model could go out in such an outfit. She would be a laughing stock.

Eliminated: Shane Garland: I felt sorry for Shane. His frock wasn’t outstanding but his client could still get away with walking down the red carpet unlike Mark’s and Brent’s clients. She looked beautiful and presentable. The frock was made up of a deep lipstick red material. The top part looked great but when u looked at the lower half, the frock didn’t fit the model properly and the finishing made her look bigger than she actually was. Still it was streets ahead of Mark’s monstrosity. Mark should have been eliminated.

PROJECT RUNWAY AUSTRALIA FOXTEL ARENA MONDAYS 8.30pm
C

2 comments:

Monty said...

If I had pay TV, I'd watch it...you make it sound fascinating. What I am enjoying is America's Next Top Bitch (ooops, I mean Model). LOVE it!

` the name is shawtyy . said...

you can actually watch the show on your 3mobile (if you own one) for FREE. yay to me. and yeps, i didnt like Mark's design for this challenge though he is my fave designer =]