Thursday 10 July 2008

CRUNCH

Ok I take everything back about summer being absent. Winter slapped me in the face this morning. It was absolutely freezing …a big fat zero on our balcony thermometer. It's still absolutely freezing although am now very cosy in my office looking at the grey freeze outside munching on a pie which contains about 5 million calories. I'm going to have to run to Melbourne and back to burn it off. Remarkably I got to work early this morning. I would like to think it is my enthusiasm for a Thursday but it was more to do with Ross Greenwood on the Today Show. He advised that my generation would require at least one million dollars in super to retire and to achieve this we must begin self-contribution around the age of 30. Thanks Ross. I'm almost four years late; just what I wanted to hear over my porridge. So in my old age, not only will I have to deal with rising sea levels, widespread destruction and the odd climatic refugee on my doorstep, I will most likely have to be running some sort of fraudulent carbon trading scheme just to pay for the milk and a night at the disco. Such things should not be discussed on television before midday. Accordingly I switched Mr Ross off, left my upset porridge and catapulted myself outside. It's payday today and I receive my tax cut from Kevin Rudd. Thanks Kevin. I also no longer have any university debt munching at my salary as I finally paid it all off in June. I was quite excited about the prospect of having a nice little sum of extra cash around; that was until I received a letter from the bank last Friday advising that they were putting our mortgage interest rate up not once but twice in one month. Merry Happy End of Financial Year! Don't you just love a Credit Crunch? I hope they give me the dates for the next one. And of course no Credit Crunch is without an Energy Crisis is it? Petrol today is $1.73 a litre. So unless I buy a horse, there goes all my extra money and more. Enjoy your tax cuts everyone!

4 comments:

Monty said...

Ha ha! Obviously you don't bank with MY bank! ;-) Are you with one of those dodgy 2nd or even 3rd tier institutions??? RAMS? Wizard? St George??? :-)

Cahill's Rest said...

our rate is still lower than CBA....

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of all the misfortunes after you thought you may be coming out ahead. But hey, kudos to no more college payments. Have a fabu weekend and stay warm. I always thought of Australia as a year-round warm place like San Francisco.

Mark Olmsted said...

Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be a "climactic" refugee.