Thursday 24 July 2008

My Winter of Diabetic-Content

This cold snap that we’re currently experiencing in Sydney is turning me into a diabetic. I cannot stop eating. And we ain’t talking low GI good stuff either. Fuck it in the last two weeks I’ve been on a high GI rampage. Literally I’ve been getting high on High GI. Not one saturated fat has been left unturned nor any processed meat left clinging to itself nor any carbohydrate wrapping device left in its plastic bag. If it hasn’t been dipped, dumped and dunked into ten thousand calories of oil….I’m not interested. Fried chips, fried rice, fried chicken, fried potato….Jesus…I’d eat my own right hand if it was covered in canola. Add to that pies, sausage rolls and any type of pastry surrounding a solid item, I’m banging down my arteries to get me a piece. And then you have the bacon, the eggs, the butter, the white bread and recently re-discovered pudding recipes such as apple crumble and rice pudding “which are just so easy to make.” The latter items alone have enough kilojoules to power a small Mongolian army….for weeks. I may as well just book my bed at the RPA cardiac unit now.

To make matters worse my willingness to exercise in this cold weather is nort. At the best of times I hate exercise. If I could take a pill instead I would and believe me if it’s developed I’ll be straight up there to get my prescription. But until then I have to pay people to yell at me to exercise or go to rooms heated to that of the surface of the sun to make sure I keep myself “noice”. I haven’t been to gym in two weeks. Since doing bikram yoga, my motivation to do a weights work out has been like a deflating balloon. I’m just not interested. Two weeks ago I completed my experiment of doing bikram yoga four times a week for a month. It was good but it gets a tad dull doing the same thing every session as well as the fact it is too expensive ($18 per session or $165 per month for unlimited) So I’m going to go back to doing yoga once a week and doing bootcamp again (outdoor exercise group: Outdoor X) twice a week in the Domain in the city at 6.30pm. I’ve been doing bootcamp on and off for two years. There’s a group of eight of us and it’s basically been the same group for the last 12 months. We have one instructor Ray and we do everything from running 6ks in an hour session to boxercise, strength or a combination thereof. At this time of the year it’s about the most fun you can have running around in the dark with your clothes on. I caused a little bit of a stir in the group when I announced 6 weeks ago that I was going to take a break to try out bikram for a month. It was like I’d announced my own crucifixion.

Really?
Why are you going?
What is this bikram?
Are you going to come back?
You’ve been doing it for so long, it would be a pity to let it go.
Don’t forget us.

I assured them that I wasn’t about to bless them and wash their feet. I would be returning. I just needed a bit of a change and this bikram was certainly different. Like Jesus I returned from the dead…..last week. And unfortunately yoga had not given me the Jesus stamina I’d hoped for. The session involved running up and down all the stairs of Lady Macquarie’s chair and doing boxercise in between. I lost count of the times I dry wretched. It was exhausting although my fellow disciples had appeared to have increased their fitness levels four fold. …which made me even more exhausted with jealousy. In the intervening days I’ve been hoping to get my sorry ass down to the weights room at Fatness First at Bond st in the city but I just can’t seem to do it. The lure however after 5pm of my couch, tracky dacks and ugg boots together with green coconut cream curries and tim tam desserts have been winning out every time. My waistline is of course embracing such activities and as a result is setting sail and discovering new territory every day.

http://www.outdoorx.com.au/
C

1 comment:

Monty said...

I'm getting like that whilst on holidays...pastries, pastries, pastries...yummmmmmmo! BUT, I did go to gym on Mon and Wed! Aren't I just a star! LOL The whole lounge/trackies/uggs is perfect for this weather!