Friday 30 January 2009

Bye Bye January

My brother has just left to pick up our parents from the airport. They are down for their annual ten day visit to Sydney. They've come down to Sydney every year for the last 7 years around Mum's birthday on the 7th. For some reason more than usual I seem to be looking more forward to it than other years. I have lots of handyman jobs for dad to do....the toilet needs repairing, two plates on the stove are broken and the skirting boards of our new cupboards need painting. I don't know how a man with so many practical skills like my father could have ended up with two sons who practically have none. S and I can't even hammer a nail. I'm good at giving directions though...I got that from my mother. I'm looking forward to ten days of home cooked meals, everything washed and cleaned and the place smelling like our home in Queensland. As much as I don't miss the stifling heat of Queensland this time of year, I do miss the daily storms that build in the south. You get them in Sydney but not as often. It happens nearly every day in Brisbane this time of year......I love listening to the rumble of the thunder in the evening, the sprinkle of rain on the iron roof and the air bursting with expectation.

Still there is something in the air tonight in Sydney. It is certainly lush and boisturous blowing the blinds around in the apartment; at least it is cool unlike in Melbourne which is having to shed power because it is so hot. I swear to god if I was down there, I'd be booking the first jetstar flight out! I've been in Melbourne and Adelaide heatwaves before and I just can't hack that stifling dry oven heat; it's like your organs are going to catch on fire.

Is January over already? I still haven't got to the beach yet!

C

1 comment:

James said...

I agree with you about those late arvo storms in Brissie. Nothing quite like the thunder, lightning, and heavy downpour.