Sunday 3 August 2008

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner ?


I was thinking tonight as I was fussing over my dinner for one plowing through my bottle of merlit, if I could invite anyone in the world right now to a dinner party for twelve who would it be? I allowed two further positions for myself and a friend. After finishing the bottle of merlit, this is the list of people I came up with:



  1. David Sedaris : American humorist.
  2. Condoleezza Rice: US Secretary of State
  3. Kathy Griffin: American Comedian
  4. Maggie Tabbera: Australian Fashion Icon
  5. Emma Thompson: UK actress
  6. Jana Wendt: Australian Journalist
  7. Oprah Winfrey: do I have to explain this?
  8. Richard E. Grant: UK actor, writer, director
  9. Barry Humphries: Australian Comedian/humorist (Dame Edna)
  10. Paul Keating: Former Aussie PM
  11. Madonna: you may have heard of her
  12. Justice Michael Kirby: Openly gay member of Australia’s High Court Bench
  13. Judy (best friend): he’s great at parties



Then as I commenced my bottle of shyriz, I thought of all the people who are no longer alive who I would like to invite to a dinner party of twelve. Yet again I allowed two further places for myself (not dead last I looked…touch wood) and someone who I knew but has now passed away.



  1. Elizabeth 1 HRH: The Tudor Queen
  2. Tennessee Williams: US Playwright: A Streetcar Named Desire etc
  3. F Scott Fitzgerald: US Author
  4. Noel Coward: UK writer, director, singer, actor, everything
  5. Graham Kennedy: the Australian King of Television: comedian
  6. Oscar Wilde: Irish writer/playwright/humorist
  7. Agatha Christie: UK author
  8. Bette Davis: US actress
  9. Henry Lawson: Australia’s 19th Century Bush Poet
  10. Sir Robert Menzies: Australia’s longest serving PM
  11. Sir Samuel Griffith : 1st Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia and author of the Australian Constitution
  12. Neville Bonner: 1st Aboriginal man elected to the Australian Senate.
  13. My grandfather
  14. Special Extra: Katherine Hepburn: With a post entitled Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, I couldn’t not mention her. She probably wouldn’t come anyway.



As you can see I am having a slow night and no one has messaged me on manhunt. So to all you readers out there in Blogland, who would you invite?

7 comments:

Monty said...

What's your tag on Manhunt...I'll send you a message! :-)

I'd definitely invite that other Hepburn - Audrey - to my "dead'uns" dinner party! Deeply a fan of hers.

Anonymous said...

Oscar Wilde was IRISH dear

Anonymous said...

your man friend is called Judy? I'd certainly invite him for clarification!

T said...

I'd be interested to meet Alan Jones, the Sydney Radio Journalist, just to see him interact with you and Judy.

Anonymous said...

oh what about Jeannie Little, Ding Dong Drysdale, Jacqui & Fiona McDonald, Pattie Newton, and not forgetting Rowenna Wallce as she just loves a drink.....

Anonymous said...

An interesting list indeed. But Condoleezza Rice? I am intrigued by what you are thinking you may get out of her. I like the makeover you have done on your blog, including the repeating of the "0" for the "o's"

Anonymous said...

Can't say much about the Aussie choices, but Condi Rice seems to me a tight-assed drip--much more interesting would be Madeleine Albright.
Otherwise I concur with much of this list, though certainly can't imagine not inviting Tracy Ullman, Alexander the Great, and the Bard himself, Mr. Shakes. And Galileo was fascinating, although he'd spend the evening asking all about Big Bang Theory, we'd better invite a Stephen Hawking, or at least Deepak Chopra.
Love your mangling of Merlot and Shiraz...I have to remind myself that I've been there and done that for sure...