Sunday 31 August 2008

BEING JUDY

Judy left for a month in Ibiza and Europe on Wednesday and as a result I am house-sitting his flat in Potts Point…or the village as Judy likes to call it. He lives in a gorgeous one bedder art deco apartment overlooking Elizabeth Bay. Judy and I have very similar taste when it comes to furniture. We’re both in love with 1920s London and decorate our apartments accordingly; all except that Judy has nicer taste and co-ordinates better than Dorothy Parker. Am continually wandering from room to room perched with a cigarette convinced I am Beatrice from the House of Elliott or after a few cheeky gins, Sebarrrstian Flyte from Brides Head Revisited. I have spent the last few days sat at Judy’s Norfolk island pine desk in his bedroom punching away at his laptop whilst looking out on the goings on of Macleay Street littered with it‘s cafes, shops and homosexuals. This suburb is so gay that even the shrubbery cruise each other. Thursday night at Woolworths is like a visit to your local SOPV; there are so many dirty stares, all they have to do is dim the lights and turn up the disco. Other than those obvious delights, I am looking forward to sleeping in a little more each week day and walking to work; still arriving earlier than I normally do when I catch the train from the Hills of Dulwich and have to leave at the crack of dawn. I plan to do lots of writing when I’m here; that is if I can stop meeting friends for breakfast and lunch and refrain from spending far too much time at Woolworths.

The last couple of weeks at work have been strange to the say the least. The organization I work for is undergoing (and as of tomorrow has undergone) a massive corporate re-structure. This has resulted in my team losing the best boss I’ve ever had and the team being combined with another team. Essentially my role is not affected and I will be carrying on as per usual (although my direct manager will be in Adelaide…I don‘t know how that works). The environment however will be totally different. A, my now former boss nurtured a great team environment whereby we all became like a family. He finished on Friday. With him not there, and management structure that is going to be largely run out of Melbourne, it is going to be starkly different; not to mention most team members are applying for new jobs. So it’s time for me to make a change ….again. I change jobs generally every two years so I shouldn’t be surprised and I am beyond bored with this job; the only reason I have stayed longer than I intended was that it was such a nice place to work. However having said that I have been far too comfortable and hence lazy in this position for too long. So it’s time to pull my finger out. I just have to make up my mind what I want to do next. For the next three weeks though, I am happy just to be Judy.
C

No comments: