Wednesday 23 April 2008

Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head

It has rained for the last 11 days straight in Sydney and I think I'm starting to develop webbed feet. Apparently it is the wettest April in 77 years and I am totally over it! Weather like this reminds how I would find it very challenging to live in a place like London, Dublin or anywhere north of the Mediterranean. The constant grey wet damp is driving me nuts. My huge weekend has not assisted my mental state either. One of my closest friends, Christopher was up from Melbourne for the weekend. We hadn't seen each other for ten months and we certainly made up for lost time. We covered the whole gamut of Oxford Street Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I danced so much I dropped two dress sizes.

I simply can't party now the way I used to. It takes too much out of me. I have been absolutely exhausted all this week and am now coming down with the flu (super (not): just in time for Liv's wedding on the weekend in Brisvegas); not to mention I arrived at work on Monday with no voice. I sounded like a strangled Daffy Duck; such a great look. I spent all day communicating with people via email and post-it notes; so professional.

I had my theatresports graduation Friday night. It went very well with everyone performing exceptionally. I was extremely nervous though at the beginning and seemed to lose the power of speech and movement. When our teacher and MC Lyn had us all out on stage in front of the audience, she threw a red scarf in the middle of the stage and asked each of us to go out one at a time and do something with the red scarf. This completely threw me. ….. I wanted to exit the stage, call a cab and go home. I think it was because I knew I had so many friends in the audience. I don't mind performing in front of complete strangers but when it comes to people who know you, it's quite terrifying. I could tell every one of my friends was egging me on to do something but I just couldn't move. And I became more and more frozen as every other person on stage did something with the scarf. Every single action I thought to do, someone would do it just before me. It was a nightmare. In the end I remained frozen to the floor and did my best impersonation of marble. I was the only one not to move. EMBARASSMENT!

Thankfully I eventually warmed up and got into the groove participating in pulling out some hits such as the song "I’m in Love I'm in Love With A Recycle Bin" and "Grandma and her Homosexual Cat."

We received standing ovations at the end of the show and all these professional theatreporters who were in the audience approached us to join the official theatreports body Impro Australia so that we can perform on a regular basis. They claim we are the best group to graduate thus far. They probably tell every graduating class this ……still it was nice to receive so much encouragement. I definitely want to keep doing it.

The rest of the weekend is akin to a cross between The Thorn Birds and Weekend at Bernie's. I can't even begin to tell you. Hopefully I will have the abridged version out by Friday.

Tomorrow afternoon I fly off to Brisvegas for a few days of sunshine (fingers crossed), Dad's cooking, a wedding on Saturday and p and q (please god!).

2 comments:

Ivan said...

Pffft! You did perfectly during the performance, John! I, on the other hand, looked like I was trying to claw out my own throat based on the filmed video!

Sh@ney said...

Please tell me the rain is going to stop...My partner & I are flying down this coming friday for the weekend. It will be my first to sydney & on a plane...hehe
I would like some nice weather, kinda like you had when you came up my way...*winks*