Wednesday 2 April 2008

Picture Perfect

Can Friday hurry up and get here? I cannot wait. Judy, Bernice and I are going down to a beach-house that Trev and Paul have hired at Bawley Point ….just south of Ulladulla. Trev and Paul have been down there for the week and have asked us down for the weekend. Apparently the place is right on the beach and the water is crystal clear. I have not been out of Sydney all year so am looking forward to getting away and chilling completely out. It is a four hour drive though….we're hoping to try and beat the Sydney Friday traffic and leave about 3 Friday arvo. Mind you Bernice is driving….we may not get there til Tuesday.

Due to my being away this weekend, I arranged my personal training session with Ray at 6.30 this morning instead of the 9am session I've been doing on a Saturday. I slept through my alarm at 5.45am. Woke at 6.12. Ran out of the house with keys, phone and wallet. Got half way threw the door and thought it might be an idea to put some clothes on. I was completely naked. I don't think am ready to take Ray's and my sessions to that level yet. Cursing myself as if I was a 2 year old ("When are you gonna grow up John?? When are u gonna get it together" : I have so many arguments with myself that I am sure our neighbours are convinced that three people live in number 8 instead of 2.) I threw on some shorts and a t and hotfooted it to my car. I managed to just beat the hideous Sydney inner west traffic and got into the Domain in 20 minutes….which is pretty good actually considering an average trip would be at least 45 mins. We started my session at 6.45am and it was still dark with a hint of sun breaking the eastern horizon. I can't wait til Daylight Saving stops and we get back to normal daylight hours. Almost 7am and complete darkness is ridiculous…..in Australia anyway.

I wish I could get up to do the morning training sessions as I really do miss seeing Sydney at its best. Jogging around the Domain as the Sun is kissing the harbour always confirms why I live in this city. She's an absolute knock out. I first met my trainer through doing Fitness First Bootcamp a couple of years ago. I used to do the morning sessions. I did them for three months and then just couldn't face the early mornings anymore. I'm about as morning as vodka. We just don't mix.

I do however remember those morning sessions fondly. Running around Lady Macquarie's Chair, the Rocks, the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge at 6 in the morning, I saw a very fresh crisp side of Sydney; like it had just jumped out of the shower. Obviously it wasn't enough to keep me getting out of bed but it was pleasant to revisit it this morning. The colonial rustic browns of The Rocks, the water coloured pastels scattered across a cathedral sky, the royal blue of the harbour, the lushness of the botanical gardens and that feeling of great expectations which only comes with such a morning. It was picture perfect. A nice way to start the day.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I THOUGHT I saw a hairy naked guy jogging down George Street at the Rocks the other day....

Cahill's Rest said...

You really should stay away from the gin that time of the morning dear....